Monday 1 April 2013

C-3PO by Seth Fisher.

C-3PO is a protocol droid (the robots were all called droids, I don't remember hearing the term 'robot' at all), more of a talker than a fighter, designed to serve human beings (and probably a few other races), and is fluent in "over six million forms of communication", or do he says.
He is the comedy element in the movies and for me the highlight of the whole Star Wars series.
I first came across Seth Fisher's artwork on the DC graphic novel, Green Lantern : Willworld, and I was stunned by his ability to let his art just flow seemingly with a mind of its own.
In talking with Seth over email for this commission I got to know him a little, as much as such communication would allow. He chose the robot and the design himself, I just asked for a robot commission and left his mind to do its thing. This digitally coloured piece arrived before the inked page and I couldn't be more pleased with either.
It has a spiritual aspect that was important to Seth, who was living in Japan at the time and exploring the country and its culture.
Sadly Seth died not too long after this piece was finished. I only ever met him face to face at a San Diego Comic convention in 2001 (where he did me a quick Green Lantern sketch) and didn't mention this when he was doing the commission as I would have been one amongst a sea of similar fan-boy faces, but he was a genuinely nice person and a pleasure to talk with. A real loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment